Subject lines are one of the most important parts of your emails. They will be most likely responsible for high or low open rates which then ifluences the number of unique clickthroughs and the traffic brought to your website. Therefore, as a marketer or business owner you should take some time to master subject lines to make your emails most effective. In this infographic we pointed out 10 most common mistakes that marketers do when writing subject lines. Have a look and let us know what you think in the comments below!
10 common mistakes in Email SUBJECT LINES
- Being safe and predictable -Use split testing and try something new, what’s the worst that can happen?!
- Not looking around -Learn from the experts; subscribe to your industry leaders / competitors newsletters to find out what they are doing.
- Writing a Subject Line which is way toooooooo long and way tooooooo descriptive -Giving your reader too much information could discourage them from opening your Email and finding the juicy stuff! If you can, try to keep your subject lines to below 16 characters to improve your open rate.
- Not giving you a reason to open -Include a give away, although it does not need to have financial value; try sharing your top tips, a few brilliant websites you’ve found or perhaps details of a recent success story.
- Just using text -Numbers are ey catching and people love to know that they have a process to follow so Subject Lines such as ’10 Top Tips’ can work well.
- Being too clever -Take the ‘Ronseal’ approach, keep it simple and tell them exactly what they should expect when they open it, your response rates will improve every time.
- Being emotionless -Show your rpersonality and use emotional words that grab attention – after all, people buy from people.
- Being perfect -Nobody likes to make a mistake, so share common mistakes (it got you to read this :-))
- Blah, Blah, Blah -Talkin at your readers and never asking any questions – it’s about engaging with your audience, but what do you think? 🙂
- Selling -Nobody wants to be solt to, write as though you are Emailing a friend or a coleague.
popcorn is a smart, easy-to-use and efficient platform that not only helps you compose beautiful emails and newsletters but also helps you manage your sales funnels and leads. If you would like to test popcorn and see if it could help improve your email marketing game, you can sign-up for the free trial here.